We are so inspired right now! Anna and I received this recipe book full of canning and preserving ideas, and we kind of want to preserve ALL THE THINGS. We got this book and some jars & canning advice from Ball to prepare for the Can It Forward day on July 22.
Our first creation was Tepache, a fermented pineapple drink.
It’s so simple! You take the core and rind of a pineapple, place it in jars with simple syrup, cinnamon sticks and cloves, and just let it set for a few days with cheesecloth over the top of it. How easy is that?
Anna is measuring the simple syrup to add to the pineapple to make Tepache.
Here’s our pineapple in simple syrup, ready to ferment into Tepache. Pretty!
We let our Tepache sit for 4 whole days. When we strained and drank it, we were blown away at how delicious it was. Really refreshing – the pineapple flavor is not overpowering, it’s not too sweet, and the fermentation gives it a lovely bite without being at all funky. It’s really delightful. The recipe recommends using it in cocktails, but I loved it as-is over ice. We drank it all before I could even contemplate which alcohol to mix with it, so I guess we’ll have to make it again to experiment. I’m trying to drink less chardonnay this summer, and I think this Tepache may be my replacement beverage.
Tepache is perfect for summer!
While the Tepache was brewing, we kind of went crazy and canned a bunch of other stuff as well.
From the recipe book, we made spicy pickled peppers & red onions, dill pickles, pickled beets and started a kombucha SCOBY. Can’t WAIT for kombucha!! We even used a few of our antique blue Ball canning jars along with the new ones that Ball sent to us.
Here’s how you can participate in #CanItForward day:
- Pledge to can-it-forward by signing up via the pledge page and share with friends.
- Tune in on July 22nd to watch canning demonstrations via Facebook Live from 10:00AM – 3:30PM ET.
- Engage with any of the Ball Facebook Live recipe videos, and a donation will be made to charity (charities are community food-based, and can be found listed on the pledge page above).
- Ask the Jarden Home Brands canning experts any preserving or home canning questions via Twitter with the hashtag #canitforward from 10AM – 5PM ET on July 22nd.
- Share your own #canitforward creations on Pinterest and Instagram.
- Enter to win! Ball is giving away the following to one reader of this blog:The All New Ball Book of Canning and Preserving: From the makers of the iconic Ball® jars and Ball® canning products comes the first truly comprehensive canning guide created for today’s home cooks. This modern handbook boasts more than 200 brand new recipes ranging from jams and jellies to jerkies, pickles, salsas, and more. (Retail value: $22.95)Case of Collection Elite Wide Mouth Pint Jars: For the first time, the Ball® brand has introduced a line of never-before released blue colored jars. If you’d like another size or glass color, let us know and we’d be happy to swap out! (Retail value: $8.99/case)One $5 off coupon to be used on FreshPreservingStore.com
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Disclosure: We received “The All New Ball Book of Canning & Preserving” and canning jars to write this post. No other compensation was received and all opinions are my own.